13 December 2005

I'm Wrong About Everything

As I did some more unpacking tonight, I dropped John Wesley Harding's The Confessions of Saint Ace into the CD player. I hadn't listened to this in a while and I'm not sure what made me choose this now, but I do know that "the best Elvis Costello album that Elvis Costello never made" made me feel good about a bunch of stuff that's been making me feel kind of bad. Not really bad, but...unsteady. Anyway, people either love this album or hate it; I am firmly with the former. I think that JWH is even more fantastic live than recorded, and listening to Saint Ace made me homesick for the Tin Angel, where I'd seen him a couple of times, variously with Ellen and Joyce and Charles (old friends). Our Lady of the Highways (recorded with Steve Earle, whose voice couldn't be any more different than JWH's) will always remind me of driving long stretches of I-95 between my Philly home and my family home in bad holiday weather. I don't particularly miss doing this, but, after three short months in the desert, I've lost all sense of season...aural cues have had to replace other bodily cues that the holidays are about to make me exhausted again. Add to this, my confidence in my ability to read situations and people, while perhaps not lost, has certainly been shaken. Melissa (old friend) has endured and helped me laugh through phone calls about schizophrenic situations being left behind (I'm Wrong About Everything, a fabulous song used in Nick Hornby's High Fidelity, segues into Same Piece of Air segues into Old Girlfriends) and the reticence surrounding those being created (what a brilliant job JWH does of capturing reticence in the seemingly silly Goth Girl and in Too Much Into Nothing, probably my favorite track). Only Melissa and Brit Pop out of Brooklyn could make such heavy stuff feel so much lighter.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tom the Piper's Son said...

Sharon - Welcome to the high profile world of blogging! I'm reading your stuff with great interest....
I'm very fond of that High Fidelity soundtrack myself; my favorite from it is "I Always See Your Face" by Love/Arthur Lee (don't know if they put it on the compilation), and i'm extremely partial to those chaps...growing up in LA during the 60's Sunset Strip teeny-bop, cop, hippie renaissance scene that spawned them...

Thursday, December 15, 2005  
Blogger Sharon said...

Thanks, Tom. This is what I would hope for; that things I think of make other people think of things that will make me think of yet other things, thereby killing even more time! I did't really know Arthur Lee, but after googling him/Love, I'll have to dig in some more. I'm a Nick Hornby fan and saw the film again recently, thereby remembering that JWH was included on the soundtrack, which I don't own. I'm going to have to pick it up. A reviewer on amazon posted all of the song credits (blogger.com won't let me put the link in here); there are three Love tracks there. Looking at that list got me thinking about how 15 songs were chosen out of the 57, and which I would have chosen. Some newer favorites made the cut (the Beta Band and Stereolab), but others didn't (Belle and Sebatian, the Chemical Brothers). Always See Your Face is on the compilation.

Friday, December 16, 2005  
Blogger Tom the Piper's Son said...

Here's a thread i'll take from here that's way off the interest track from most of those musical places touched on in the posts...but hey what the hey!
A good friend of mine gave me "Here Comes the Groom" many years on and I remember really admiring it. I was surprised to see recently that Harding is a big Nic Jones fan and even made a record of his stuff "Arranged by Nic Jones". it seems an odd coupling of styles but i'll rest judgement til I've actually heard this record.
But Nic Jones himself....if there's anyone out there with a modicum of interest in English/Celtic folk - Nic's your man. Some distant resemblance to Martin Carthy and Bert Jansch but truly an orginal - with a deep resonant voice and entirely unique guitar style.
Nic was hit head-on by a truck coming home from a gig around 1980 and has never recovered enough to play since. The folk world has done much to lend a hand to his family; the dirtiest shame of it is that his former record company has withheld any release of his previous records for some bewildering psychotic reason (you can go to the website dedicated to him to him for details /www.nicjones.net/). The only studio release available is Penguin Eggs which was his last and is great. Dylan ripped Canadee-i-0 from it with no credit to Jones except in interviews. My personal favorite record was The Noah's Ark Trap...the lps are available now and then on e-bay if you're up for selling your car in trade.....merde

Thursday, December 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home