14 January 2006

Make Believe Mambo

A little news snippet while I work on a longer post...

Ray Barretto was sworn in yesterday to the new class of the National Endowment for the Arts Jazz Masters. This got me thinking about Carlito Soto, a friend who cut his professional teeth with Mr. Barretto and went on to become Willie Colon's band leader. So, I just popped in David Byrne's Rei Momo, on which Carlito appears along with Mr. Colon and Milton Cardona, providing unbelievable percussion on tracks like Make Believe Mambo and the Rose Tattoo, with Kirsty MacColl providing backup vocals. The whole album is such a great one-stop introduction to various Latin musical forms, some of my favorites being merengue, mapeye, and samba (while Joe Strummer loved cumbia...).

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom the Piper's Son said...

Sharon -
More power to Ray Barretto. I have a Gene Ammons (tenor) record where Barretto lays down the rhythm in co-existence with a drummer - some of the swingingest stuff ever!
Rei Momo is one of my grandson Liam's favorite records - convenient that he calls his grandma "Momo"....

Sunday, January 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home