30 March 2006

Conflict:

or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Parse Error

Regular readers (all three of you) will know that I uncreatively attempt to label each post with a song title. The above is, in fact, the title of a composition by PLOrk, the Princeton Laptop Orchestra. Made up of fifteen laptop'ers, or laptopists, the group also features "PLOrkified" cellos, synthesizers, tablas, accordians, and various percussion in their performances. All of the pieces are written in a new music programming language called Chuck, created by a Princeton graduate student.

You can listen here; I really liked Conflict, On the Floor, Non-Specific Gamelan Taiko Fusion Band, and Thunderbird Suite in Eb Minor. I found the abstracts of the individual pieces amsuing and the PLOrk biography is interesting, as are the photos of the assembly of and performances by the ensemble. Also follow the link to cool stuff about the soundlab at Princeton, which includes software and sound downloads.

Here's a Guardian piece about PLOrk as well.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jimmy said...

Being one of your three readers I would just like to say how much I appreciate your acknowledgement of us.

Great post!!

Thursday, March 30, 2006  
Blogger Tom the Piper's Son said...

I second Jimmy's emotion and raise the fact that as soon as i figure out how to do it I'll add you guys as guys as links and then we'll have maybe, on a good day, 3 more readers....
This is amazing stuff, the PlOrkers,
Jimmy and I were talking about sampling as another instrument last night and this really hits hoe. Really love the monikers of the composers too!
yours,
tom "awright, so my last name isn't pronounced how it looks but it's kind of reminiscent of 'Debussy' or 'Hovhaness' which is cool, usually" clohessy

Friday, March 31, 2006  
Blogger Tom the Piper's Son said...

reading over my previous post, let me make it perfectly clear that I would NEVER entertain the thought of hitting "hoe". "Home", now that's another matter. Also; "adding you guys as guys" dos not refer to some kind of gender-crisis floor show....

Friday, March 31, 2006  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Where is the other reader anyway?
HELLO....we know your out there!!!!

Sunday, April 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

S, I'm veddy interested in herring
PLOrk. I hava no speakas but vill
zoon. "The sound of chirruping crickets,fruit machines and thunder"...ah,yes...thatsa my cuppa mud,sez Sergio Leone.
S

Sunday, April 02, 2006  
Blogger Sharon said...

KA: With your comment, I now am sure that I have four readers, but the fourth, as Jimmy points out, prefers to remain a mystery. Your accent is also mysterious and is quite befitting an international art star on the horizon...

Monday, April 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home